Our Approach

All volunteers with Girl Guides of Canada, both members and non-members, require Police Record Checks or PRC (sometimes called a Police Information Check). These checks are valid within the Girl Guides of Canada system for a period of three years. The following web page has been designed to help answer the questions of members and non-member volunteers concerning the proper procedures to follow and documentation required to obtain a PRC within Edmonton Area.

If you are in need of software that allows you to read the pdf documents on this page, you can download it from Adobe for free at .

Methods of Acquiring a PRC

If the Police Record Check is required for an existing Member: an email will be received prior to their expiry date with the link to complete their PRC through BackCheckTM . If this email isn’t received please contact the Edmonton Area office.    

The Edmonton Area Office will email New members the BackCheckTM link to complete their Police Record Check.

icon-branding-300x300 (2)


If you live in the City of Edmonton, there are two methods of acquiring a Police Record Check. Which one you choose depends mostly on your schedule as one is done online and the other in person.

a)    Edmonton Police Service
The cost is $15.00 (please tell them you are completing this for Girl Guides). These checks are done at the Police Information Check office, #108 – 14315 118 Ave, Nexus Business Park. For more information and what to bring with you, please visit the EPS website – click here. Once completed please send the original PRC to the office along with the A.7 form.

b)    BackCheckTM service
The cost is $23.00 +GST, paid for online as part of the process, and is usually completed within 24-48 hours, depending on how quickly the applicant responds to their part of the process. Send the A.7 form to to get this process started or to inquire about more information.

Those living outside of the City of Edmonton could also make use of the BackCheckTMonline process, or, applicants can visit their local RCMP detachment. (Please note: A referral letter is required from the Edmonton Area office for the RCMP check. These letters must be request by either the unit contact guider or the district commissioner.)

If you have further questions or require assistance during this process, the Edmonton Area office staff are always happy to assist you (780-451-2263).

Accpetable Id – Wondering what will be accepted and what won’t? Click here for a list of acceptable ID, created by the Edmonton Police Information Check Unit.

Copies, faxing and original documents:
Girl Guides of Canada policy states that we are not able to accept faxed or scanned copies of Police Record Checks. As a result of this policy, the original needs to be sent to the Edmonton Area office (and we will see that it gets back to you), or, a copy can be sent if it is accompanied by a brief letter signed by the District Commissioner or one of her Deputies, which states that she has seen the original document.

What if you already have a PRC

A Police Record Check can be accepted by Girl Guides of Canada if:

it has been completed within one year prior to the date it is submitted
if it has come from the Edmonton Police Service, the RCMP, or the Back Checkservice
if it is an original copy.
Some individuals have “Intervention Record Checks” from Alberta Children and Youth Services (the top of this form is shown below). These checks apply only to an internal database kept by Alberta CYS and are not the same as a PRC as required by Girl Guides of Canada regulations.